EARTHQUAKE INSURANCE – WHAT NASHVILLE, MIDDLE TENNESSEE and Kentucky NEEDS TO KNOW
- Most home insurance policies do not cover earthquake damage.
- Even if you don't live in an area where earthquakes are common, you may still need earthquake insurance.
what does earthquake insurance cover?
- Does the policy cover only your home? Are other structures, such as garages, also included?
- Will your policy pay for the contents of your home and for additional living expenses if your home is badly damaged or destroyed?
- Are there any exclusions or limitations to coverage?
- What deductible must you pay before the insurance kicks in?
how to protect yourself
- Make sure your water heater, gas appliances, and other fixtures are fastened securely.
- Check that bookcases and furniture are secure and fastened to walls.
- Have a family emergency plan that all family members know. Designate a meeting place outside the home where family members can gather once the danger has passed.
- Designate a distant relative or friend who can serve as a point of contact and communication for you and your family members if you get separated.
- Plan ahead. Keep flashlights, batteries, and candles on hand. Have a portable radio.
- Be sure everyone in your house knows how to turn off utilities (electricity, water, and gas).
- When shopping for earthquake insurance, ask the company to help you identify possible repairs and other improvements that will make your home safer and minimize damage.
what to do when an earthquake strikes
- Don’t use candles until gas lines are checked. Also, check throughout your home before you use certain utilities, such as water and electric, sewage connections, and even chimneys.
- Don’t tie up phone lines except to report emergencies.
- Be prepared. Remember that you will need food and water, even for the short term. Keep your family together and stay alert for aftershocks.
4331 Old Hickory Blvd, Ste D
Old Hickory, TN 37138
PHONE: (615) 847-3669
FAX: (615) 847-3984
Mon: 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Tues: 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Wed: 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Thurs: 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Fri: 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM